A. What is Hard Water?
Calcium and magnesium are natural minerals that dissolve in water to cause hard water. A water softener is designed to remove hardness and up to 4 to 8 parts per million of iron rust stain from water.
B. Softeners and Salt
The relationship that a water softener has with salt can best be compared with detergent and a washing machine. Laundry detergent is added to a washing machine to clean clothing. After the washing machine goes through its different automatic cycles, the soap and dirt wash down the drain. The clothing does not come out saturated with soap, but is clean.
Sodium Chloride (salt) is used to clean the hardness (calcium and magnesium) from the mineral bed of a water softener. When the water softener valve goes through the proper cycles, it washes the salt and hardness (calcium and magnesium) down the drain. Unlike common belief, softened water has only traces of sodium in it.
C. Why You Need a Softener
- Prevents bathtub rings and calcium buildup on tub enclosures, faucets and fixtures. Less cleaning chores! There will be no more ugly stains and mineral build up to darken your porcelain. Washing floors, tile, and woodwork is much easier and faster with softened water because it eliminates the film and soap scum caused by hard water.
- Hard water deposits a rock like scale in household plumbing, plugs and corrodes valves, and causes energy robbing sediment to build up and settle in your hot water heater. This hard water build up will block the transfer of heat to water. Water softeners help water heaters work up to 29% more efficiently. Other appliances also last longer and are more efficient with soft water. Fuel bills stay lower! Repair costs are reduced!
- Drops the cost of your soap and cleaning supplies. Soaps lather better and consumption of soap related products such as detergent, bleach, shampoo, scouring powder, toilet bowl cleaners, and floor cleaners are reduced by as much as 60%!
- All your glassware, dishes and silverware rinse spot free and cleaner. Dishwashers last longer and operate more efficiently. In fact, most automatic dishwasher manufacturers recommend soft water to lower maintenance costs and increase dishwasher life.
- Clothes last longer, come out fresher, cleaner and softer. Hard water dulls colors and makes fabric feel stiff and scratchy. Clothes are brighter after washing and last longer. Also, washing machine manufacturers recommend soft water to lower maintenance costs and increase the appliance life.
- Keeps hair and skin healthier and shinier. No soap residue to clog pores, dry out skin and dull hair. Soft water is recommended for keeping hair and skin healthy.
D. Typical Installations
Read instructions completely before installing.
E. How to Choose the Right Softener
Buy the right unit the first time. Have your water professionally tested and avoid costly mistakes. Order Factory Test Kit #136958 from your Flint & Walling or Star Water Softener distributor or dealer.
Star Water Softener Test analyzes:
- TDS (Total Dissolved Solids)